Thermal energy storage (TES) materials rapidly absorb and release heat to buffer thermal transients. This improves device or component reliability, and can allow for useful capture and reutilization of low-quality heat, improving overall system efficiencies. Key challenges are demonstrating high energy storage density and high cooling power densities in stable, reversible systems. We have demonstrated a number of important achievements in this area:
- Optimal design of high cooling-power thermal composites.
- Material-specific nucleation catalysts, resulting in significant decrease in subcooling in multiple classes of PCMs.
- Characterize and predict thermophysical properties of novel high energy density phase change material and composites.
- Figure of merit based approaches to afford side-by-side comparison of different materials and optimization of composites.
Applications: Electronics, Aviation/Automotive, Batteries, Oil & Gas, Building/Construction, Home Appliance
- A. Tamraparni, P.J. Shamberger, J. Felts. Cyclic Stability of Lithium Nitrate Trihydrate in Plate Fin Heat Exchangers, Appl. Therm. Eng. 179, 115476 (2020). doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.115476
- A. Hoe*, M. Deckard*, A. Tamraparni, A. Elwany, J. Felts, P.J. Shamberger. Conductive Heat Transfer in Lamellar Phase Change Material Composites, Appl. Therm. Eng. 178, 115553 (2020). doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.115553
- Shamberger, P.J., T. Fisher. Cooling Power and Characteristic Times of Composite Heatsinks and Insulants, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 117, 1205-1215 (2018). doi: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.10.085
- Karimineghlani, P., E. Emmons, M. Green, P.J. Shamberger, and S. Sukhishvili. A Temperature-Responsive Polymer Matrix for Controlling Fluidity of an Inorganic Phase Change Material, J. Mater. Chem. A, 5(2), 12474-12482 (2017). doi: 10.1039/C7TA02897K
- Shamberger, P.J.. Cooling Capacity Figure of Merit for Phase Change Materials, J. of Heat Transfer, 138(2), 024502 1-7 (2016). doi: 10.1115/1.4031252